Dehydration is one of the most common and underestimated dangers in our daily lives. You may not think about it or realize it and by the time it can seriously hurt you, you get so thirsty you finally get a drink. But what are the consequences or not being adequately hydrated all day, every day?
First of all, water regulates most functions in the body, it’s also a major part of all our cells and tissues. It helps in efficient transportation and distribution of oxygen by blood to all cells. When you are even slightly dehydrated you will feel tired and sluggish. You may experience headaches and dizziness or light headedness. What are you likely to do then? Grab a cup of coffee? This will dehydrate you further putting this vicious cycle in motion. What’s important to know is that by the time you physically experience thirst – your body is already telling you it’s desperate for water. You should strive to never allow that state to occur. Even slight dehydration will decrease your physical and mental abilities by up to 25%.
Secondly, water flushes out and removes waste from our systems. It helps keep cholesterol at bay and maintain healthy blood pressure. So when you feel sleepy and your blood pressure drops, forget the coffee and grab a bottle of water. If you observe dark urine with intense smell that is a worrying sign of dehydration, the color and smell suggest a high amount of waste and toxins.
Thirdly, water is essential for staying fit and losing/maintaining a healthy weight. Why? It regulates the metabolism and absorption of nutrients. It also helps keep hunger under control. Sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger.
Tips and Tricks
But you may not enjoy sipping on water all day, not have the time or forget. What can you do?
- For better taste and even more health benefits add a slice of lemon, fresh mint leaves or cucumber. You can always give a super free drink stick such as Slender Stick a try. We get it – plain water is not everyone’s thing.
- Drink plenty of tea – red, green, herbal, fruit flavored – there is a kind for everyone. Swap coffee for a cup of herbal tea.
- Always carry a bottle with you. If you happen to be bored and reach for crisps or sweet to nibble on, you will sip on the drink you have, first.
- Make a point out of drinking a large glass of cool water when you wake up. It will energize you and kick start your metabolism.
- Instead of meeting your friends for beer or cocktails, find a nice tea/fruit juice bar and drink away!
It may seem awkward at first to ‘force’ yourself to drink but you will feel the effects soon enough and you will not want to stop!